[governance] Re: [Coalition] ICANN Meeting in Mexico

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 01:45:58 EST 2009

On Wednesday, 11 February 2009 09:23:46 Karl E. Peters wrote:

> Ginger and all,
>     There is currently an effort to organize a "Users" constituency to the
> GNSO that meets strong resistance from many who are involved in a new
> constituency for non-commercial domain name (SLD) owners. The person
> coordinating both efforts on behalf of ICANN is Danny Younger, who deserves
> a hearty thanks for a thankless job. Anyone wishing to learn more may join
> the list for this effort or ask me if you need directions. Sincerely yours,
> Karl E. Peters, President
> Top Level Domain Association, Inc.

Interesting – remembering the long history of discussions and decisions
related to this field, I hope it will not ending in a dead end road because
of a lack of clear definition of purpose – or better: of different purposes.

Every person is also an "Individual Internet Users" – in addition to being a
domain name seller, an ISP manager, a communications researcher etc. But
until now, to focus on specific activities and concerns in ICANN,
these “individuals” have found their place in the different “constituencies”
according to  specific task. Some individuals like myself found institutional
and personal concerns well housed in the  "Non-Commercial Users"
constituency, other individuals have found their place within national
At-Large structures, which are regionally clustered in RALOs, some individual
businesspeople are in the "Commercial and Business Users" constituency of
ICANN, etc.

I am very much interested to know what a somewhat abstract "Individual
Internet Users" declaration might be – if it is not a duplication of either
the conceptual/functional or the national/regional groupings. In my
understanding these relate on the one had to the existing constituencies, and
on the other to the national and regional ALAC/RALO structures – but when it
comes to “global, rather than merely regional, point of view on ICANN-related
issues” I am at a loss to clearly understand what it means – I sounds a
little bit like a douplication of ICANN.

When the first round of an At-Large Users registration process was going on –
up to the ICANN Accra meeting 2002, if I remember correctly, it was an
unstructured global process: every individual Internet user can participate,
and every individual Internet user can be a candidate to be voted into
whatever offices to be created. It was as if all the US citizens would vote
for the president, where every citizen could also be a presidential
candidate - without any sub-structures, any parties, with their chapters, and
no primaries. This would obviously lead nowhere – and so an effort of
clarification of purpose started, which led to the present arrangements:
conceptual/programmatic/operational concerns for institutions
(and "Individual Internet Users" in them) found there place in the different
ICANN constituencies, while the concerns of the "Individual Internet Users"
with national and regional concerns organized themselves in the ALAC/RALO
structures.

This is my understanding, developed over the years. And this why I do not yet
see how an "Individual Internet Users" structure would define its
specificity – without ending up in the same spiral as it happened after
Accra. So I am looking forward to how this this discussion develops.

Norbert Klein

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

This is the latest weekly editorial:

Not to Discuss Means Not to Clarify
http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/not-to-discuss-means-not-to-clarify-sunday-822009/
(To read it, click on the line above.)