[governance] Internet for All ... this time from the UK

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 01:34:35 EST 2009

I'd like to echo Parminder and Guru's comments.

What I think needs to be added to Parminder's comments though is that the
simple provision of Broadband access is quite insufficient without the
parallel and associated investment in socially directed training, enabling
of locally accessible technical maintenance and support and community
focussed applications development (as for example in the area of health
management, support for local education and locally based training,
environmental management and so on... In the absence of these investments in
Broadband "access" are simply gifts to the telcos or other service
providers.

The global financial crisis has created an opening and opportunity for bold
thinking and initiatives from Civil Society among others and it is I think
incumbent on CS to move into that opening in the IGF among other venues.

MBG