[governance] AW: [tt-group] FW: GAID

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 08:58:30 EST 2009

And presumably this is a discussion among those concerned with determining a
"civil society" position on these issues i.e. not an academic discussion
about what could be the most efficient or effective mode of Internet
governance.  Thus we are looking for what should be advocated by those
presenting/representing non-corporate, non-governmental interests in this
context...

So the operative question for us here is not what is the most efficient and
effective form of global (Internet) governance, but rather appears to be
what form of global (Internet) governance most desirably serves the
interests of everyone else in a world defined as one where the corporate
sector and the governmental sector are bent on pursuing narrow self serving
interests.

Also of course, the history of civil society is one where not only is a core
and defining civil society value some form of democracy i.e. governance
which is responsible and accountable to the governed; but also, where the
fundamental value being pursued by civil society in all contexts is in fact
responsible and democratic governance however this might be defined in
specific local contexts...

(Also, and not incidentally, one of the reasons that "democracy" is such a
fundamental value for civil society is that history has shown that civil
sociey is only allowed to exist within systems of democractic governance...
outside of those systems, civil society is seen as a mortal threat and is
often brutally supressed... and including -- coming full circle -- a denial
of the right by those in the non-corporate, non-government sector to access
the Internet...
.
Mike