[governance] Re: AW: [tt-group] FW: GAID

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:46:27 EST 2009

The issue is only partially one of lack of funding for ICT4D projects... In
fact, in many cases/places there are funds available for ICT4D (particularly
now with ioncreasingly widespread mobile and broadband infrastructures)
either through donor resources or from Universal Services funds but there is
an overall lack of knowledge/experience/capacity to spend this money in an
appropriate and useful/effective way.

Doing the assessments, building the knowledge bases, bringing together those
with the experience as developers and end users, developing the
multistakeholder issue oriented dialogues and networks is the role that is
currently lacking and has been lacking since WSIS and before. The GAID said
they would do some of this but they didn't, the IGF dilettantes at the edges
but only muddies the waters, the ITU is too clearly top-down (in current
speak non-multistakeholder...)

So where to go from here...

Best to all for the season!