[governance] Co-coordinator Election Results

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Dec 22 12:31:47 EST 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 10:46, Ginger Paque wrote:

> Parminder wrote: It will be great if you can accomplish this 'project' of clarifying many issues/ questions often raised about IGC membership. I will be glad to be of any help in this matter. Regards. Parminder

> Parminder, I would like to take you up on your offer to work on this project. Once Derrick has returned from Christmas/family holidays in mid January, we can take this up. Perhaps Rui, Paul Lehto and Craig Simon would help with more "theoretical guidelines" once we have the "technical" foundation of the list in order.

As one of the 'silent' people who think the form of membership and voting we have is a good thing and something that works well, I do look forward to being able to comment on the results of this group's work before any charter ammendment votes are taken.

I think that linking certain activities with having voted is critical in that it really shows how many active members there are who care about the IGC enough to bother voting.

By having the vote open all list members we never exclude someone who has not voted before, but by leaving each years decisions in the hands of those who cared enough to vote we know that decisions are being made by those who actively align themselves with the charter - and any changes that might have been accepted during the year.

I also think that that the simpler the rules are, the better.  So while one could add clauses for the person who is active and joins the list midway between elections, the complication will not really do much to advance the cause of the IGC and its ability to show how wide a demographic it has. One thing that might be interesting (before we get into discussion about whether this is a northern thing or a southern thing) is to have someone determine the demographic mix of those who did vote.

And of course this only counts for votes and nomcom activities as, every one always has a voice on everything - they just need to exercise it.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org