[governance] Re: [ciresearchers] Dan Schiller: The Communications Revolution

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Thu Dec 17 10:44:03 EST 2009

On 17-Dec-09, at 2:23 AM, Michael Gurstein wrote:
> I'm not sure about all the details but an interesting brief global
> overview of the political economy of ICTs
>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/schiller12162009.html
>
> MBG
>
> The Communications Revolution
>
> It's a Wired World
>
> By DAN SCHILLER
>
> Profit-seeking investment flooded into ICTs and the idea that we
> were transitioning into a benign information society was the new
> common sense. .....  and, so far, the leading role has been taken
> not by popular social movements but by capital. Oppositional
> impulses have only occasionally become organized at a politically
> meaningful level.

I think it's short-sighted to state that, "Oppositional impulses have
only occasionally become organized at a politically meaningful
level."  For example, consider this expression of another facet of
the same gem:

> Because informational power has altered the materials,
> rules,institutions, ideas, and symbols that are the means by which
> other forms of power are exercised, a new type of system, the
> informational state, has emerged. Information policy is thus key
> both to understanding just how this change of state has come about
> and to analyzing how the informational state exercises power
> domestically and around the world. Information policy is the
> proprioceptive organ of the nation-state, the means by which it
> senses itself and, therefore, the medium through which all other
> decision-making, public or private, takes place. ...... The study
> of information policy as a coherent body of law and regulation
> introduces the meso-level and lets us answer the real question:
> What are we doing to ourselves?  (Sandra Braman.  Change of State:
> Information, Policy, and Power. MIT Press, February 2007. pp. 4-5.
> <http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/chapters/0262025973chap1.pdf> )

Meaningful opposition at the political level has already occurred,
just not among us "voters!"

GG