[governance] Regarding Membership Criteria for Future Members

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 11 06:18:20 EST 2009

In message <C743E628.8ABE%ian.peter at ianpeter.com>, at 11:16:56 on Tue, 8
Dec 2009, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> writes

>I personally don't have an issue with governmental or private sector
>employees being members per se. But it is something that might be worth
>clarifying and discussing in the future.

People can wear many "hats", depending on the time of day.

For example, completely independently of whatever it is I do in the
Internet Governance space in my day-job or other professional activity,
I am an elected parent representative on the governing board of my local
high school.

On my desk is a draft "e-safety policy" drawn up by the school
management, and while I'm primarily required to look at this through the
lens of employer and educator, I also have to take into account the
rights and responsibilities of individual students and teachers
(especially when using school facilities for private communications)
which seems to me to be very much a civil society issue.

And my children (to whom this policy will eventually apply), and other
children and parents, are civil society. Whether teachers are too, when
off duty (as opposed to still being employees), is one of the thorny
issues being addressed in the policy.

ps. If anyone wants to contact me off-list to discuss the specific
issues of Internet access in schools, please feel free.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org