[governance] IGC

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Dec 7 05:25:28 EST 2009

On 07/12/2009, at 1:18 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2009, at 05:15, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
>> It's for the same reason that I have been critical of the IGF for
>> switching to a proprietary Web conferencing system, WebEx, over the
>> open source one DimDim that was used last year.
>
> The decision of what software to use for remote communications has
> been a host country decision.

Yes, but it shouldn't be.  It should be something into which we all
have input, and it shouldn't change from year to year so that there is
no possibility to form a continuing online community around the IGF.
This is part of a list of recommendations I've made previously,
encompassing institutional, technical and social improvements:

Institutional
-------------
* It should be possible to register as an IGF stakeholder without
attending a meeting in person

* Rather than the IGF's plenary activity being limited to an annual
meeting that meeting should cap a programme of online intersessional
work

* The official Web site should be unified or closely integrated with
community and host country resources

* Data from the official IGF Web site should be programmatically
accessible and tagged for reuse:

   - User registration details
   - Calendar of events
   - Live transcripts
   - Dynamic coalitions
   - Stakeholder contributions

* Funding should be sought for online resources just as it is
allocated for the annual meeting

Technical
---------
* Unified registration system for IGF annual meetings, sub-events and
IGF online resources

* Rich ACL providing roles for Secretariat, Advisory Group, Dynamic
Coalitions and others

* Registration details can be shared with community Web sites and
events using OpenSocial API

* RSS+Dublin Core metadata engine to unify data from official and
community sources

* Multi-modal online participation should be facilitated where
possible (eg. email, Web, RSS)

* Unified set of themes for IGF sites (differentiating between
official and community resources)

* Engine to gate live transcripts to IRC, Jabber, Second Life, etc

* Event information made available in iCalendar format

* All workshops and events to have access to integrated online fora

* Extension and unification of existing facilities for asynchronous
and synchronous discussion

* Extension of existing facilities for collaborative editing (eg. add
polling support)

Social
------
* Appointed volunteer rapporteurs to bridge online and offline fora

* Outreach programme to existing online communities of Internet users

* Capacity building for government stakeholders in the use of online
resources

These are the kind of thing we could add into our recommendations on
the structural reform of the IGF, though as nobody has responded to
the questions I sent to the list I'm not sure that there's much
interest in putting such recommendations forward.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org