[governance] IGC

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Dec 6 23:15:48 EST 2009

On 07/12/2009, at 5:56 AM, Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google wrote:

> 1. Evolve the dialog away from the dated mailing/discussion list
> format towards a more transparent and open Social Networking &
> Collaboration platform - I recommend that Marc Andreessen's and
> Giani Bianchini's brilliant Ning technology be used as opposed to
> the somewhat restricted Facebook, Orkut, and the like. Establishment
> of appropriate IGC presences on Twitter, Scribd and YouTube will
> also be useful. Utilization of emerging solutions such as Google
> Wave should be explored. Enterprise solutions such as Social Text,
> Lotus Connections are also available if a more robust solution is
> desirable.

It's a good suggestion, however apart from the other reservations that
have been expressed about this, I would not like to see us move to a
proprietary hosted platform, which could compromise our independence.
Sympa is open source software which can be hosted anywhere by anyone,
so if we want to migrate the list including all its archives to
another server at no cost, we can easily do so.  It's for the same
reason that I have been critical of the IGF for switching to a
proprietary Web conferencing system, WebEx, over the open source one
DimDim that was used last year.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org