[governance] Upcoming elections and the end of my term

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Dec 3 21:19:07 EST 2009

Seeing the election begins Monday, and my term as Co coordinator ends as
soon as the election is over, perhaps I ought to say a few words before I
disappear into the sunset.

Firstly, I am so pleased to see an excellent field of candidates to replace
me. To Fouad, McTim, Jeremy, and Rafik, I wish you all well in the election,
and IGC is richer because you have all offered to stand and to take on co
coordinator tasks.

What I can tell you is that, whoever is elected, you will have my personal
full support. You will also have the support of many other members of the
Caucus, who I know from personal experience are only to pleased to offer
help where needed and to assist a co coordinator during difficult times.

You will also have the privilege to work with Ginger Paque, who during the
last year has made a truly great co coordinator and someone only too willing
to make efforts to make IGC successful. It was my privilege to work with
Ginger, and before that with Parminder, both of whom were strong, competent,
and great to work with. You can be sure that in taking on the tasks of a co
coordinator you will have an excellent partner as well as excellent support.

So I wish you all the best, and look forward to the results when they are
announced in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, it has been my pleasure
and an honour to work with IGC as a Co coordinator for the last couple of
years, and, much though I am glad to be relieved of the duties, I very much
treasure the experiences I had during my term of office and the experiences
of working with the Internet Governance Caucus. I will enjoy staying
involved in a more minor way.

And to the voters ­ to me the qualities you should seek are dedication,
wisdom, an ability to encompass and include differing points of view, and a
commitment to civil society involvement in internet governance. I am sure
there are other qualities as well, but these stand out for me personally.
And I am pleased that among the candidates all of these exist!

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org