[governance] FW: [IP] A Ridiculous Failure of Critical Infrastructure

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:31:57 EST 2009

Something for the IGC to address...

A bit of a warning re: a privatized infrastructure for the critical elements
of an Information Society especially as things are being pushed "into the
cloud" at an alarming rate.

So what happens when, banking, government, retail, education, health,
telecommunications etc.etc. are all effectively on the Internet/cloud
including their transactions, information flow and records and the Internet
goes down as below... and your friendly local privatized service provider
(whose ownership is buried under a dozen layers of tax shelter dummied
corporations ultimately housed in a post office box in the Caymans), and
their outsourced help desk doesn't/won't answer even if you can find an
operating (non-Internet based) phone ...

Or have I missed something.

Hmmmm....