[governance] Proposals for Restructuring of the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Dec 2 05:30:28 EST 2009

On 02/12/2009, at 6:40 AM, Ginger Paque wrote:

> Fearghas pointed out that I did not really start a new thread
> earlier: I just changed the subject line. To make this appear in the
> archive as a new thread, I have started a "real" new thread here for
> the discussion, and copied Ian's and Fouad's latest posts below.
> Sorry for the confusion. gp

David Souter suggested narrowing down the options around a series of
basic questions covering "ideal" and "pragmatic" contexts.

Here are twenty questions, with my answers - coded I for ideal, P for
pragmatic (well, my view of pragmatic), and C for current.  To save
space and aid clarity, I am not including the reasons for my answers,
but can follow up with this later.  To include your answers, delete
mine and use the same codes I and P (you can omit C which is simply
for information).

Everyone's answers can be compiled and we can then determine what kind
of rough consensus we already have, with a view to settling on text in
those areas - whilst exploring through discussion the scope of
widening the initial consensus into other areas.  If anyone thinks
it's worthwhile, these questions could also be put online in survey
form.

1. Is the Secretariat provided by the United Nations?

    I: No
    P: Yes
    C: Yes

2. To whom is the Secretariat directly accountable?

    I: The MAG
    P: The MAG
    C: The UNSG

3. How is the MAG (by whatever name) selected?

    I: By the stakeholders (directly)
    P: By a randomly-selected multi-stakeholder nominating committee
    C: By the Secretariat

4. How is the MAG composed?

    I: By equal numbers from each stakeholder group
    P: By more equal numbers from each stakeholder group
    C: Dominated by governments and the technical community

5. Whom do the MAG members represent?

    I: Their stakeholder groups
    P: Their stakeholder groups
    C: Themselves or their employers

6. By whom should the MAG be chaired?

    I: Two of its own appointees, rotating between the stakeholder
groups
    P: Its own appointee/s, rotating between the stakeholder groups
    C: The Secretariat

7. How should the MAG make decisions?

    I: By consensus between individuals
    P: By consensus between stakeholder groups
    C: By consensus between individuals

8. What should be the transparency of MAG deliberations?

    I: Public mailing list, recordings and/or transcripts of discussions
    P: Private and public mailing lists, anonymised transcripts
    C: Chatham House rules, edited summaries of discussions

9. Who is responsible for determining the IGF's structure and processes?

    I: The open consultation meeting
    P: The MAG
    C: The Secretariat

10. Who is responsible for writing (beyond just compiling) briefing
documents?

    I: The MAG
    P: The MAG, drawing on work of the Dynamic Coalitions (but see 15
below)
    C: The Secretariat

11. Who is responsible for writing (beyond just compiling) written
outputs?

    I: The MAG
    P: The MAG, drawing on work of the Dynamic Coalitions (but see 15
below)
    C: The Secretariat

12. How can such outputs be expressed in a case where a consensus
exists?

    I: Recommendations, declarations, statements, etc
    P: Recommendations, declarations, statements, etc
    C: Chairman's summary of the meeting

13. How is intersessional preparatory work of the IGF to be performed?

    I: By the IGF at large using online tools and intersessional
meetings
    P: By the dynamic coalitions (and/or new thematic working groups)
    C: Not applicable

14. How are outputs of the dynamic coalitions or working groups
transmitted?

    I: By their chairs to the IGF upon reaching an internal consensus
    P: By their chairs to the IGF upon reaching an internal consensus
    C: Not applicable

15. What criteria apply to the recognition of these groups?

    I: Open, multi-stakeholder, democratic process, one group per issue
    P: Open, multi-stakeholder, and democratic process
    C: None

16. Who is responsible for assessing the consensus of the IGF at large?

    I: The MAG
    P: The MAG
    C: Not applicable

17. What working processes are used to promote such consensus?

    I: Small group moderated democratic deliberation
    P: Roundtables (with online participation)
    C: Freeform discussion

18. How are outputs of the IGF transmitted to external institutions?

    I: By the MAG
    P: By the MAG and the media
    C: Not applicable

19. How is the agenda for the IGF set?

    I: By the stakeholders in open consultation meetings
    P: By the MAG, drawing on open consultation meetings
    C: By the MAG

20. How are workshops selected?

    I: By inviting participants for topics pre-determined during
agenda setting
    P: By the MAG selecting from proposals, but eliminating overlap
    C: By the MAG selecting from proposals, allowing overlap

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org