[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles for upcoming IGF OC

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 07:41:23 EDT 2009

Hi

In terms of practical suggestions, I wonder if it's worth suggesting that the IGC (and/or IRP coalition) is given the opportunity to work with all main session panel coordinators, panelists and moderators to ensure that the human rights dimension of the subject matter at hand is considered in all panel sessions.  In my mind, human rights are relevant to all of them (access, diversity, critical resources etc), both in terms of the protection of human rights standards and in terms of making sure that the internet supports the positive dimensions of human rights and development (access to information, education, resources etc). (We'd also need some internal organisation amongst us to attend and contribute to sessions to ensure that rights dimensions are included in discussions).

The human rights framework can also be used to balance competing "public interest" concerns, for example between security and freedom of expression, and contains specific guidance on when it is acceptable to limit certain rights in the name of protecting others.  We could ask for such guidelines to be used or borne in mind in relevant discussions.

We could also call for some space in the "emerging issues" session to reflect on the meaning of "rights and principles" in the context of internet governance, drawing on discussions held in the regional and international IGF.  This would address the issue of "righst and principles" being rejected as a main session due to a lack of consensus about its meaning.

Finally, we could call for space in the "Internet governance in the light of WSIS principles" session to reflect on the extent to which the IGF has reflected the WSIS recognition of the centrality of human rights to the information society.

What do people think?

NB, after today I'm away for a few days, but would be happy to draft a short statement when I'm back next week.  I can't find the statement that we submitted in April - does anyone have a copy or know where to find it?

All the best,

Lisa