[governance] Rules decide Membership not existing Members

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 25 12:26:04 EDT 2009

David Souter wrote:
> See correspondence below.
>
> The implication of the interpretation in Parminder's post is that list members cannot abstain in votes for coordinator if they wish to be able to vote in any charter amendment that takes place before the subsequent coodinator election.

In these time of low attention span, before anyone ascribes a
restrictive voting  membership view to me,  I must clarify (not
necessarily to you David)  that this is only my interpretation of the
charter text and not my preferred option or view.

Rather to the contrary, I have been arguing that this provision is
problematic and will cause problems whenever a charter amendment
proposal comes along.  It is unfair to anyone who just chose to abstain
from voting or may not be able to vote for any reason. To repeat, the
only time I conducted coordinator elections, I did caution those who may
choose not to vote that in doing so they may lose voting right for
charter amendment (though I dont find it logical).

My preference in to allow all those who have been IGC members for
sufficiently long time, say 9-12 months, to vote for charter amendment.
I am even agreeable to Avri's logic, that as an abundant caution against
possible capture, we may add a condition like, the member should have
voted at least once before or such. But this is not what the charter
says at present.

In any case, from Ian's email I understand co-coordinators seek to
conduct the vote using  the members  list as  it stood immediately
after  the last election.  (I understand  that  some in this list may
never have voted in any IGC voting, whereby this list does not meet
Avri's criterion.) If everyone else is, I am fine to have the vote
conducted by this list. However, we should then soon formalize this
arrangement by entering it into the charter.

parminder