[governance] Vote on proposed amendment to IGC charter

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Aug 24 13:07:40 EDT 2009

Hi,

I can give an answer of what I think the consideration was from my
perspective as the person  was the coordinator at the time the charter
was adopted.

Both the 2 month rule and this rule are meant to be rules against
capture in a open group that has an interesting form of membership -
i.e. signing on to the charter.  It was also part of the balance
between keeping an open list and a members only list.

An election takes about a two months between opening for candidates
and preparing for a vote.  So two months seems a safe gap to prevent
election capture.

Amending the charter, which by requiring a 2/3 level, was meant to be
very hard to do.  It was also expected that the process of discussing
and putting together amendments could take anything from a month or
two to a year or more.  For example we have been discussing the issue
behind this proposal for a long time now.  So again, the previous
election list, which assumes that people were not inspired to join
specifically for the charter amendment seems a safe capture prevention
mechanism.  Note: I am not accusing anyone of having joined to make an
charter change, only that it could happen and is thus protected against.

Without some capture mechanism, it would be trivial some some very
vocal group to do a massive amount of recruiting and change the rules
on an group they were not committed to.  So two months on the list
without ever having even taken part in an activity like the election
of coordinators seemed too short.  By having required at least one act
of participation that was not directed at the charter change (and that
included at least the 2 month interval), the charter restricts changes
to those who have been committed to the charter for a while.

Another way of looking at it.: As important as a coordinator is, their
term is only 2 years and they can be voted out.  The charter on the
other hand determines the character of the group and is meant to be
more stable then any coordinator's term.

Yes, I know this is a character some will accuse in no uncertain
terms, and that is fine, they shouldn't join - of course  i am
assuming that everyone who joined read the charter first since they
had to sign that they accepted it.  In fact we are but one of two, or
maybe three or more, open groups I know of committed to representing
civil society interests in Internet governance.  And those who find
themselves committed despite feeling the charter can be improved, will
commit themselves to accept it and then work to change it when they
can according to the rules defined in it.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org