[governance] Role of CSTD in the IGF review process.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 12:55:14 EDT 2009

Hello Fouad Bajwa,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Being an active participant of the UNCSTD this year in Geneva, I would
> like to share that the CSTD members were not out of touch of the IG
> issues

Thank you for your response. I do understand that CSTD is fairly well
informed on IGF matters. I didn't say that the CSTD members would be out of
touch with IG issues. It is just that the IGF happens to be one of the
several issues that the CSTD is concerned about, so the members of the CSTD
might not have followed IGF deliberations in different forums as closely as
ICT ministries who are more directly concerned about IGF would have.

> and the draft resolutions that were prepared and then approved
> from the committee's members.

> This committee was also chaired by a
> member who is an active member of the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory
> Group MAG respectively and the deliberations made the members of the
> IGC were reflected in Markus's report that he read out and presented
> to the CSTD from the IGC Secretariat respectively.
>
> How governments nominate their members to represent their countries
> (Foreign Ministers or ICT Ministers) is solely upon member state
> countries of the UN and I believe that IGF or the ECOSOC has no
> influence over that and I think they shouldn't either.

No, neither the IGF nor ECOSOC would find it appropriate to influence how
the Member States nominate their representatives, nor would be in a position
to suggest that they may be nominated from ICT ministries. These are
internal affairs of the Member States and UN or any of its organs wouldn't
interfere. Nor did I say that we should ask the member states to change
this. That would be too much. What I suggested is that ICT ministries could
work to share their observations and positive views with the Ministry that
has nominated a representative to CSTD - in case it happens to be a
different Ministry.

> Yes you can communicate with your country's government and check into
> the issue

Our government has a very positive view about the IGF and is indeed very
thorough in its approach.

Thank you.
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy