[governance] Complex Networks, ccing and talking too much.

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 22 01:58:31 EDT 2009

Very interesting WiFi exploration today.  College town. Went to Starbucks. They charge for WiFi.  Went to public library, must have a card to use WiFi.  Went to another café/ It was auto – activated with special codes through the fully connected cash register including time limit per $$ spent.   Parking permitted was by card, through meters, connected to cardmember services and internet wired.  Phone from work forwarded all to my mobile – An IP gig out of 0ne Wilshire all automated from Bangor Maine to San Diego, a call to the Philipines and one to New Delhi.

What a cool internet infrastructure and all seamless and on demand/command for almost nothing!!

But what reminded me most of this list was the mighty freeway networks – Business commuters, commercial delivery, Overland longhaulers, Grandmas, tourists, school buses.

And we all got to where we were going just fine by following some strict rules of the road: But mainly it all worked out because we follow simple courtesy toward our fellow networkers and are patient and accepting of the differences. Complex, simple, physical or ethereal, communicative or transportive,,, all networks work better when we make our intentions known, act openly and with courtesy and most important, do not try to direct everyone and respect differences.  Working on skills and remaining open to new methods and old ideas, make them really great.

Good manners and good netiquette will be followed on this list, not by mandating and "governing" but by constant examination and practice, by open discussions and by people not leaving or quitting or being excluded on every offense. Always remembering our actions are often more rude than our speech. This would be respectful interface and a globalization I can finally support.