[governance] Rights like ownership, and Privatization via ICANN, etc.

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:17:29 EDT 2009

All political power emanates from rights, which include ownership,
free speech, and on...

If the rights of ordinary people have to take "baby steps" or child
steps when in fact in real courts are applied grown  up concepts of
free speech and property rights (albeit to a new context of
cyberspace), then the following results:

The rights of ordinary people are reduced to childlike status, and
property rights, believe me, are ALWAYS enforced like grownup rights,
no matter how young the "child" is.

I encourage all not to be taken by modesty or the concept of child
steps, which are not only violations of rights (as I pointed out
earlier, all compromises of basic rights are violations of them and
nothing more, unless a right of equal or greater weight were directly
in conflict, which is rare) but also if adopted broadly would
virtually guarantee an internet that is fundamentally privatized,
because the public interest is slow in advancing its cause, while
private interests are not, and will not be, similarly slow or
unimaginative in advancing their cause.

The classic example of inappropriate privatization is ICANN itself, a
creation of the US Commerce Dept, by delegating authority to this
corporation without setting detailed standards to run it by as
required by the constitutional "non-delegation doctrine."  IN sum,
this doctrine requires that government not abdicate (like they do in
privatizing core functions) their authority to any third party without
such standards to guide that third party such that it can FAIRLY be
said that the people, via their legislators, are still in control (via
the standards or rules)

Suffice it to say that the standards and rules on ICANN are insufficient.

All forms of privatization, at bottom, move things out from under the
umbrella of rights and constitutions (by making them
non-governmental), thereby reducing the people's power and rights.

One is not neutral when riding on a train, so if we go with the flow
of the internet privatization, one is committed to a process of
privatization whether one knows it, or not, and whether they intend
it, or not.

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.