[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 10 10:18:25 EDT 2009

All these comments are not from some stone tablet - they are not immutable -- I offer for consideration only.

Congress can stop funding for DoC "projects".  (if dad tells son to go to store to get beer, dad and son are in agreement  ---  son must ask mom for money ---  Mom says no -- no beer.)
Non profit status -- hmm a charitable that receives more than 90% of its revenues from fees charged for license, service or privilege  --  not quite kosher. Another state and/or competitive bidder can challenge the removal of an essential government subcontract. The feds can revoke the "whatever the hell kind of 501(c) 3" status ICANN operates under.

California can revoke permission not to pay tax.  California can not enter into a treaty. ICANN cannot enter into negotiations with countries without California and the Fed permission. California can insist on a more stringent non citizen hiring policy.

The mechanism for the JPA may allow for total suspension of ICANNs right to collect and maintain funds for services pending blah, blah, blah. The US Gov can totally nationalize all functions and operations of ICANN. HSA could, in the blink of an eye seize all assets of ICANN.

So I do not think we are talking about what could be done. We are talking about what should be done.

Sorry just the musings of a Troll ;-)