[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Aug 10 10:00:55 EDT 2009

In message <alpine.LRH.2.00.0908092108310.28266 at localhost.localdomain>,
at 21:10:43 on Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law
<froomkin at law.miami.edu> writes
>I'd say, if I were ICANN's lawyer, that I'd want to move to Geneva
>about four seconds after the US government cut the tether.  And I bet
>the contingency plan to do just that is not just fully written, but
>years old.

They've been looking at it seriously for about a year. It's one of those
strange ICANN-ims that seems *really* important one minute, and they
don't want to talk about the next.

Having done a study of which jurisdictions would be "best" they came up
with Belgium and Geneva, although my own experience of not-for-profits
in the UK leads me to be sceptical of the stated reasons they dismissed
the UK [hint: it doesn't have to be a Registered Charity].

(Criteria were things like friendly company/tax law for not-for-profits,
good healthcare and other employee benefits, freedom from excessive visa
requirements for visitors, etc etc).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org