[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Aug 9 23:21:11 EDT 2009

On 08/09/2009 03:26 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I think your heart is in the right place on these issues but you do
> the world a disservice by lending credence to this bogus "who lost
> the Internet" argument. Maybe if we were talking about the IANA
> contract....but the JPA????

Given the nonesense that is flying around the US political system right
now - for example the "birthers" denial that our President is
Constitutionally entitled to hold office - I don't think it is
unrealistic to believe that those who want to replace our current
Congress Critters in next year's elections will use any weapon that
comes to hand, including asserting that dropping the oversight of the
Memorandum of Understanding/JPA (same thing) would be near treasonous
abandonment of John Wayne and America.

The world of US political discourse is so negatively charged that we
have to realize that many Congress Critters could realistically feel
that we are facing a Neo-McCarthy era in which being negatively labeled
by an opponent could lead to the end of political effectiveness if not a
political career.

Of course in reality we would hope that Congress Critters would act with
reason and insight.  But is it wrong to leaven hope with a bit of
recognition of the poisonous context in which Congress Critters have to act?

> Your points about contracts are money flows are very good, but ICANN
> can remain rooted in California law - or any other jurisdictional
> basis for private contracts - without having an overlay of a
> politicized national government department looking over its
> shoulder.

When I read ICANN's plan for splattering itself it was pretty clear that
the intent was to abandon most ties with the US except as necessary to
maintain existing contracts.  It was a bizarre system of corporations in
various places with unique laws in which it seemed that the board of
ICANN-US would also occupy seats on each ICANN-elsewhere.  And
registrars and registries would make contracts with the nearby
ICANN-somewhere under the laws of that -somewhere.  It would be a mess
of divine proportions that would totally frustrate even the most vacuous
Enron-like conception of accountability.

It is extraordinarily difficult to say that ICANN is California without
also saying that ICANN is USA.  The laws of the two places are very
interdependent - for example the duties of board members, although
mainly defined by California, are strongly affected by Federal laws
about immunity of volunteer directors and the activities of bodies, such
as ICANN, that have Federal tax exemptions.

I like California law (I am, of course, biased) and I operate California
corporations.  But that means that I am more than painfully familiar
with how readily The Feds reach in and tell us what to do and who to do
it with (or more frequently, who not to do it with.)

> In other words, don't confuse the issue of US unilateral
> oversight/control with the issue of ICANN's jurisdictional home for
> private law. They are quite distinct.

I'd be happy to accept that, but I don't know how that could be in
concrete terms.

We have to remember that ICANN was formed in a whirl in which
foundations of authority were simply ignored in a shell-game like
atmosphere.  That lack of clear lines is coming back to haunt.  ICANN
and NTIA's source of authority is more like that of Emperor Norton of
San Francisco than the former Emperors of China, i.e. a product of
assertion and short-term acquiescence by a few rather than long-term
acquiescence by many.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org