[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Aug 9 18:26:00 EDT 2009

Karl
I think your heart is in the right place on these issues but you do the world a disservice by lending credence to this bogus "who lost the Internet" argument. Maybe if we were talking about the IANA contract....but the JPA????

Your points about contracts are money flows are very good, but ICANN can remain rooted in California law - or any other jurisdictional basis for private contracts - without having an overlay of a politicized national government department looking over its shoulder.

In other words, don't confuse the issue of US unilateral oversight/control with the issue of ICANN's jurisdictional home for private law. They are quite distinct.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org