[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Aug 6 08:22:31 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

On Aug 6, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> I have to agree with the thrust of what Karl is saying here, and
> yes, we are
> not yet even asking the right questions in terms of deciding what
> internet
> governance might mean.

This surprised me so I looked back at save mail from when we did the
JPA statement a couple months ago.  At that time you likened ICANN's
linkage to the US government to colonialism and said that ICANN should
exercise non-violent resistance if "the colonial powers decide to
continue the JPA."  How does that fit with the view Karl lays out in
his helpful post?

Just wondering,

Bill

> [...]
>> modern notions of a fair and open marketplace but also which has
>> operated on principles of a rather oligarchical and anti-democratic
>> nature?
>>
>> I happen to live in ICANN's legal home - California.  (In the US,
>> corporations are creatures of State law, not of Federal law.  ICANN
>> merely has a Federal tax exemption.)  Since California is my home I
>> tend
>> to look on the legal foundation for ICANN as being something that
>> is not
>> all that bad.  I can only intellectually feel the force of the idea
>> of
>> ICANN as an instrument of United States hegemony.
>>
>> I can say that California does have some rather decent and well
>> minded
>> laws about how public benefit corporations are supposed to operate.
>> (Mind you, I had to go to court to get ICANN to abide by some of the
>> most clearly articulated of those laws.)  I would suspect that if we
>> search the world for good homes for bodies of internet governance
>> that
>> California would be, except for the fact that it is part of the US,
>> as
>> good as most of the better places.
>>
>> What I'm saying is that in the reaction to have ICANN fly away from
>> the
>> US it is well worth considering where it must land, as land it must.
>>
>> Personally I don't believe that the internet would suffer one lost
>> packet or one misconducted TCP connection if ICANN were simply to
>> vanish
>> into a poof of money-scented smoke.  The main loss would be a very
>> pliant tool for trademark protection attorneys.
>>
>> But we do need a body (or bodies) to do the jobs that ICANN was
>> supposed
>> to have done but which it has not done - to assure that the name
>> resolution system of the internet is stable, which means in
>> particular
>> that DNS name query packets are quickly, efficiently, and accurately
>> translated into DNS name response packets without prejudice against
>> any
>> query source or query subject.
>>
>> I consider the creation of a body to to those jobs, or better yet,
>> several bodies, each to do one precisely defined job, is more
>> important
>> than the question of the legal home of each of those bodies.
>>
>> I submit that if we start to examine the jobs that we really want
>> done
>> we will find that many of them (but not all) are largely clerical and
>> non-discretionary tasks that would not raise concern about where they
>> are done.
>>
>> I suggest that we will find our tasks easier and more likely to
>> succeed
>> if we come up with the job descriptions for the jobs that we want to
>> have performed before we undertake to move ICANN.

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and