[governance] RE: Licensing Dispute Threatens Future of Skype

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Sun Aug 2 10:45:05 EDT 2009

Well, big telcos or e-Bay, not much difference... but many voIP nets
(both for-profit and non-profit) are built on SIP and using the open
Asterisk system, and I think if this failure happens the open voIP
alternative will receive a big boost. In this case, unfortunately there
remains the problem of the best codecs still being proprietary, but this
is not precluding Asterisk-based nets from spreading to the point that
voIP hardware makers are building their devices Asterisk-ready.

One (temporary?) advantage of the Skype net is that they manage to
charge less than local commercial voIP services in several countries
even for local calls -- due I guess to massive bulk contracts with data
networks (the advantage of having that $$$ scale...).

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org