[governance] IGF Remote Hub Creation Process for remote

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 12:10:02 EDT 2008

Dear All and especially Jeffrey,

I would like to agree with Marília, not that since I started all this
discussion on the remote hub creation but for the fact that Civil
Society participation in the IGF process is very crucial for the
successful governance of the Internet and that all these groups have
advocated for equal and open inclusion for many years.

Now we are bound by hard economic times and lack of financial support
and the Remote Hub activity formulated by Marília and team members,
whom by the way are all from Civil Society, have somewhat provided an
evident solution to partially overcome the barrier of participation.

I have been unable to understand your reaction to this possibility as
well as the concern for privacy if was such a big concern, it would
have hurdled your participation in many things related to the process
of IG and so forth.

Kindly all keep a cool mind, you are free to participate and if you
decide not to participate, no one is pushing anyone. These are civil
society members proposing solutions.

For our participation, this seems as a very useful tool, it may not be
possibly so by others..............probably.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Jeffrey and all,
>
> I can see several reasons for you (and us all who are concerned) to get
> involved in this matter. First of all, the hubs are a bottom up proposal,
> that genuinely comes from civil society. Any action that helps to improve it
> and move it forward helps the empowerment of civil society as a whole and to
> move us towards a more balanced IG debate.
>
> Secondly, the hubs aim to include people that would otherwise be excluded
> from the IGF Hyderabad debate: people that are not able to cover travel
> expenses, academic communities, individuals, etc. The idea is that these
> hubs go even further, and serve as a starting point to a (necessary)
> discussion of the IGF debates from a local perspective.
>
> Thirdly, I believe that a project with this scope and that has been proposed
> by civil society should not be ignored by the community on this list and
> "conveniently" be left to the sole responsibility of the Secretariat. Each
> of us should be interested to improve this project not only as possible
> future users of remote channels of participation, but also as a concerned
> and united community that helps one another initiatives.
>
> Your concern about privacy is legitimate and it would be very valuable to
> count on your support and expertise to suggest improvements. Btw, anyone
> interested on the project can join a discussion list in
> http://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/rpg_hyd_intgovforum.org
>
> Best regards
>
> Marília Maciel
>
> Civil Society- Remote Participation Working Group

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
     governance at lists.cpsr.org