[governance] Netiquete Reminder

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 17 20:34:19 EDT 2008

Ian and all,

  Interesting thoughts in your suggestions below, Ian.

  Lets not forget that a basic human right is the right of self
expression even when such expression is offensive to others
for some reason.  In the US we refer to this in our 1st
amendment, freedom of speech and expression.

  This said I still agree that heated exchanges often escalate to
a point of loss of the original issue or point attempted to have
been expressed.  And it is best to avoid these sorts of exchanges.

Concentrating on issues is always a wise method and/or direction.
However often times issues are created by individuals or groups
of individuals and avoiding mention or interchange with same often
times dilutes and misrepresents the issue itself.

Ian Peter wrote:

> This is just a periodic reminder as regards netiquette on this list..
> I intend to post something similar from time to time as a reminder to
> myself as much as to anyone else.
>
> Our charter provides a few minimal netiquette guidelines. These
> include
>
> “Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive. You
> should not send heated messages (flames) even if you are provoked. On
> the other hand, you shouldn’t be surprised if you get flamed and it’s
> prudent not to respond to flames.”
>
> It’s part of the nature of email that messages can be easily
> misunderstood, which means we have to be even more careful in our
> choice of words than we might in ordinary face to conversation. If
> there is a simple rule we can apply when we are dealing with issues we
> feel passionately about, it would be to concentrate on the issues, not
> on the person. Be hard on the issues, soft on the person. And we don’t
> need to respond to insults and inflame the situation – most people on
> this list know a personal insult when they see one, and the insult
> says a lot more about the person making the insult than it does the
> intended targets. No point in highlighting it. Some things are best
> let pass.
>
> The Charter also outlines some specific measures the co-ordinators may
> take in response to personal insults, spam, or other deliberate
> disruptions. These include suspensions from the list. I would hope
> never to need to activate a suspension, but it is important that we
> keep on mission here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian Peter

> 8/9/2008 1:22 PM

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com