[governance] germany plans citizen email

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 10 05:07:01 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

  This is interesting and perhaps very helpful as well.  What worries
me are these free government Email addresses monitor free, ergo
respectful of the potential users privacy?

Parminder wrote:

> (I am posting below an exchange on the Bill of Rights elist, which may
> be of interest.)
>
> In germany the Ministry of the Interior has announced a plan to give
> each citizen an 'governmentally certified' email address which allows
> more extensive practices with official governmental institutions.
> Potentially this could be a huge step forward in enabling/facilitating
> online citizen participation.
>
> Unfortunately i couldn't find information in english, but here is a
> german article covering the initiative
> http://www.thexblog.de/?p=4916
>
> I will send more info as i find it
> best
> Max
>
> _______________
>
> Max
>
> That is an interesting piece of information. Presumably, if one has a
> certified email ID as a citizenship enabler, some kind of basic
> connectivity also looks very much round the corner as a necessary
> citizen entitlement. Feeds very well into a rights based approach to
> the Internet, in terms of the positive rights aspect, of what got
> discussed earlier here as a ‘right to the Internet’.
>
> Best
>
> Parminder

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com