tardis Re: [governance] IGC website hosting and maintenenance - call

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Oct 1 07:16:33 EDT 2008

In message <48E17746.146C3D52 at ix.netcom.com>, at 17:48:07 on Mon, 29 Sep
2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes
>Simply a fact that implying as Jeremy's post at the bottom, stated and
>directly infered was that my response was spam.

I have a feeling there are at least two misunderstandings here.

1) The message only said it was "possible spam". I'm sure you are aware
of the concept of false positives (in this case possibly triggered
because you unnecessarily cc'd Jeremy's personal email address as well
as mailing to the list; excessive cross-posting is often used as an
indicator in spam filters). Jeremy's system would have seen two copies
of the email, one via the list (which was probably whitelisted) and
another directly from you (and you were clearly not in his whitelist).

2) I expect that *only* yourself saw that message from his spam filter,
as a result of the direct-addressed copy of your 'Google' question being
"returned to sender" (see above). Those words, which were only
circulated to us here because you chose to redistribute them, were not
apparently sent to the list.

As a general rule including more than one list, or a list plus
individuals already on the list, in the addressees of an email will
often end in tears. And now back to our regular programmes...
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org