[governance] Attacks on Westerners in Mumbai : ICANN NOTE

Ginger Paque ginger at paque.net
Wed Nov 26 18:28:22 EST 2008

ICANN Security staff are monitoring the recent attacks in Mumbai and have
the following immediate advice for staff and other travelers to the upcoming
IGF Meeting in Hyderabad.

1) If possible – transit through Mumbai Airport to Hyderabad should be
avoided. Police activity and increased security in Mumbai is already causing
significantly increased delays in transit.  Increased security nationwide
will likely affect other cities in India over the next several days but will
cause the greatest delays in Mumbai for the short term.

2) Novatel Hyderabad and Hyderabad International Convention Centre staff
have advised that additional security and police coverage will be in place
for the IGF meeting.  Attendees should be prepared to furnish additional
identification to authorities in transit and at the hotel/conference venues.

3) No specific information has been developed to indicate that there are
increased threats to the meeting venue but attendees should continue to
monitor the situation and maintain contact with meeting organizers.   The
well coordinated attacks in Mumbai appear to target western visitors and
ICANN board and staff should take appropriate precautions to avoid high
profile while in country.

Links to media coverage of the attacks include:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751160.stm

http://www.cnn.com
http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream2

Geoff Bickers
Director of Security Operations
ICANN
4676 Admiralty Way | Ste 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292 USA
tel +1 310 823 9358 | fax +1 310 823 8649

  _____