[governance] ITU & ICANN in Cairo

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 14 19:39:23 EST 2008

Siva and all,

  Users, which we all are BTW, shall involve themselves in an open
and transparent manner or not be associated with an effort that is
not such, and rightly so.  I don't believe that Users need to be
directed as to how or where, or even what to get involved with
or in.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:

> Hello Michael Gurstein,
>

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Michael
> Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      I think the real reason that the IGF is still vulnerable to
>      attacks such as those from the ITU rests with civil society
>      and the overall way in which civil society has consented and
>      collaborated wiith the IGF in the current framing and
>      presenting of the issues.
>

> From my observation of the process of preparing workshop proposals and
> the process of arriving at a final version of the proposal, I notice
> that the Civil Society at the IGF follows a sort of quasi-diplomatic
> style. Diplomatic process on a global level in the modern context is
> an art of compromise. The IGF process has so far followed this style
> of conducting its business and frankly, we as participants haven't
> been as good as the traditional players of this game.
>
>      Rather than attempt to engage the larger universe of the
>      grassroots with a stake in the opportunities that ICTs
>      present (as well as the risks), the IGF following WSIS has
>      overall failed to either define the issues with which it is
>      concerned in terms amenable to grassroots involvement or
>      otherwise has effectively ignored the issues which would
>      engage grassroots users and particularly organizations
>      working with and for the grassroot ICTs.
>

> Rather than feel hurt, I would rather look at this as "self-criticism"
> from within. We need to take a serious look at how the users are to be
> involved. Even on the business quadrant, business seems to be more
> represented by the Service Providers rather than the "business-user"
> groups - for example we don't see large BPOs or Airlines who are
> Business Corporations as consumers of bandwidth. They ought to be part
> of the business stakeholder groups ?
>
> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
>

>           The absence of a linkage between WSIS and now the
>           IGF and a grassroots "movement" for effective ICT
>           use and self-empowerment is the direct cause of
>           the absence of dynamism which we now observe
>           in the post-WSIS initiatives and which many are
>           seeing as now befalling the IGF.
>
>           MG-----Original Message-----

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04