[Gov 589] Re: ITU and ICANN - a loveless forced marriage Re: [governance] ITU & ICANN in Cairo

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:14:17 EST 2008

I think the real reason that the IGF is still vulnerable to attacks such as
those from the ITU rests with civil society and the overall way in which
civil society has consented and collaborated wiith the IGF in the current
framing and presenting of the issues.

Rather than attempt to engage the larger universe of the grassroots with a
stake in the opportunities that ICTs present (as well as the risks), the IGF
following WSIS has overall failed to either define the issues with which it
is concerned in terms amenable to grassroots involvement or otherwise has
effectively ignored the issues which would engage grassroots users and
particularly organizations working with and for the grassroot ICTs.

The absence of a linkage between WSIS and now the IGF and a grassroots
"movement" for effective ICT use and self-empowerment is the direct cause of
the absence of dynamism which we now observe in the post-WSIS initiatives
and which many are seeing as now befalling the IGF.

MG