[governance] 1.5 Billion

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Nov 13 04:18:47 EST 2008

Dear friends

last week the cyberworld crossed another historical line: Since November 5, 2008 we have now more than 1.5 billilon Internet users in the world (http://www.50x15.com/en%2Dus/) <http://www.50x15.com/en%2Dus/> .

When WSIS ended in December 2005 we had just crossed the one billion line. With other words: half a billion new users in the last three years. Probably we will reach to two billion line in 2010 which makes it rather realistic to reach the WSIS goal of "half of mankind until 2015".

BTW, we have nearly 4 billion mobile phones in the world. If all these phone will be connected to the Internet the digital opportunities will look rather different.

Wolfgang

     governance at lists.cpsr.org