[governance] Re: ITU and ICANN - a loveless forced marriage

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Nov 10 03:26:15 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 01:42:15PM +0530,
 Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 1704 lines which said:

> What concerns me is the fact that IPV6 seems to have obviated (or
> made impossible) Network Address Translation.

Making NAT unnecessary was certainly one of the requirements of
IPv6. Making it impossible would have been... impossible. Even with
IPv6, people still have the ability to do stupid things like NAT.

> This means that everything that I ever say on the Internet is linked
> to my unique, unchangeable IPV6 address.

Completely wrong: even if you don't move your physical location and
you do not change your ISP, you can still use the temporary
untraceable addresses of RFC 4941 'Privacy Extensions for Stateless
Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6'.

On Linux:

net/ipv6/conf/default/use_tempaddr = 1

in /etc/sysctl.conf

> (this comment in particular without in-depth knowledge of the
> technical architecture of IPV6)

Indeed.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org