[governance] Text of Pakistan's Prevention of Electronic

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 5 20:49:52 EST 2008

Fouad and all,

  No offense, but I don't believe that this ordinance will be enforceable
outside of Pakistan.  Further I am very sure that it does not meet
existing international standard, particularly TRIPS.

Fouad Bajwa wrote:

> President promulgates ordinance to prevent electronic crimes
> http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58277&Itemid=1
>
> ISLAMABAD, Nov 6 (APP): The President has promulgated the Prevention
> of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008 (Ordinance No. IX of 2008) to
> make provision for prevention of the electronic crimes. This Ordinance
> may be called the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008.
> This Ordinance extends to the whole of Pakistan and it shall apply to
> every person who commits an offence under this Ordinance irrespective
> of his nationality or citizenship whatsoever or in any place outside
> or inside Pakistan, having detrimental effect on the security of
> Pakistan or its nationals or national harmony or any property or any
> electronic system or data located in Pakistan or any electronic system
> or data capable of being connected, sent to, used by or with any
> electronic system in Pakistan.
>
> It shall come into force at once and shall be deemed to have taken
> effect on the 29th September, 2008.
>
> Following is the text of the Ordinance:
>
> WHEREAS  it is expedient of prevent any action directed against the
> confidentiality, integrity and availability of electronic system,
> networks and data as well as the misuse of such system, networks and
> data by providing for the punishment of such actions and to provide
> mechanism for investigation, prosecution and trial of offenses and for
> matters connected herewith or ancillary thereto;
>
> AND WHEREAS THE  the National Assembly is not in session and the
> President is satisfied that the circumstances exist which render it
> necessary to take immediate action;
>
> NOW, THEREFORE,    in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1)
> of Article 89 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan,
> and in exercise of all powers enabling in that behalf, the President
> is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
>
> 2.    Definitions.- (1) In this Ordinance, unless there is anything
> repugnant in the subject or context,-
>
> (a)  "access" means gaining access to any electronic system or data
> held in an electronic system or by causing the electronic system to
> perform any function to achieve that objective;
>
> (b)  "Authority" means the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority
> established under section 3 of the Pakistan Telecommunication
> (Re-organization) Act, 1996 (XVII of 1996);
>
> (c)  "Code" means the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898( Act V of 1898);
>
> (d)  "Constitution" means Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan;
>
> (e)  "data" means representations of information or of concepts that
> are being prepared or have been prepared in a form suitable for use in
> an electronic system
>
> including but not limited to computer program, text, images, sound,
> video and information within a database or electronic system;
>
> (f)   "decision of the Authority" means decision given, determination
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barak ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04