[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 31 16:32:24 EDT 2008

> 1. He/She needs to have CS cred

This suggests that 'CS credentials' should be used as a key and 'the'
central criterion, which will require a clear explanation what the proposer
of this criterion really means by it.

> 2. And needs to declare / satisfy the nomcom about conflicts of interest

The part of nomcom statement

"Candidates employed by Internet Governance Organisations - Another matter
that emerged was whether to accept candidates who are full time employees of
existing Internet governance organizations - irrespective of their civil
society credentials. Some members believe that the issue is really of
primary identity of the person - if a person is a fulltime employee of IG
organization then though they may have progressive views, they can not be
said to be having CS credentials. Again there was no consensus on this issue
within the NomCom - but there were seen to be potential conflicts of
interest involved for employees and this was combined with the precedent
already established within CS Caucus to not accept nominations from full
time employees of existing Internet governance organizations in arriving at
our decision."

suggests that the nomcom satisfied itself, and decided, that certain
structural situation, as described, involved a conflict of interest.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org