[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat May 31 10:55:52 EDT 2008

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> If we accept the claim that RIRs etc. are not part of civil society and
> cannot be represented through civil society, then there is the need for
> a separate "stakeholder group" including these organizations so that

RIRs are operated on a not for profit basis, are membership driven
organizations .. in fact they fulfil several criteria that a normal civil
society group would be expected to

The problem is that people who think the technical community doesn't belong
here seem to hold very firmly to the traditional "3 stakeholder groups" idea
as well.

And the other problem is that they just don't realize that spurning
technical expertise, in policy discussions on a technical resource (so that
such governance spans a boundary traditional civ soc groups may not have
adequate experience with at all), they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Some because of intensely political reasons, others because of the "they
don't belong here" mindset.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org