Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do we

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri May 30 06:19:36 EDT 2008

>Jeremy wrote
>>Anyway, that's water under the bridge now but it's a symptom of the
>>larger problem that suggestions to the Secretariat/MAG about remote
>>participation are uniformly ignored, on the basis that "the Web
>>site and webcasting are our business; you can do whatever else you
>>like, but don't expect us to help you out by providing any
>>information or linking to the end product" (that's not a quote,
>>obviously).
>

>Well, I confirm it's not a quote :-). I remember during the first
>IGF at least there were a lot of interaction and some cooperation
>between you and the Secretariat (according to Markus's mails to the
>MAG) and even between you and the MAG; and Kieren and you
>contributed usefully to alternative remote participation facilities.
>
>Anyway, it's sure that remote participation should be improved and
>also provided with a multilingual environment. But, another issue is
>that remote participants hardy contribute (at least through
>facilities provided by the Secretariat). For example very few
>contributions are received through the email addresses that MAG
>members monitor during IGF summits, though some of us promoted as
>needed the existence of that easy-to-use facility. Most of the time
>you have about 2/3 short comments/questions in French and a bit more
>in English (and I'm not sure in other languages more
>messages/questions are received - I think this does not help
>requesting more/alternative UN supported remote participation
>facilities.

email was accepted in French, Spanish, Portuguese and English.  The
chat was, I think English, Spanish and Portuguese (Avri, you
remember?)

MAG members monitored the incoming email links, and if something came
in a note was passed to the moderator using the same process as
taking questions from the audience in the room. But as Ken mentions,
very few messages were sent. For example, I have a note saying no
comments received during the session on critical Internet resources.

Similar email addresses are set up for every IGF consultation,
usually just English and French, and we receive very few comments.
But this very basic level of remote participation has to be provided.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org