[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:15:14 EDT 2008

George,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 7:24 PM, George Sadowsky
<george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> wrote:
<snip>
> I don't think that achieving broad representation of the Internet community
> _within_ ICANN is the same as ICANN representing the community.

Agreed.  However, I think we are straying OT for this thread.  In
other words, this is about "US" and our processes, not about THEM
(whoever "them" is), and their processes.

If we are to institutionalize this decision (by doing nothing, we
ensure that a future politically motivated NomCom can point to this
"precedent" to justify their actions) then don't we need a list of who
its "ok" for future NomComs to exclude?  If we don't make such a list,
then a future Nomcom with a majority of folk who don't agree with the
ideas of "org x" can exclude "org x" staff from being nominated by the
IGC (insert your org name for the variable "x", and you might see
where i am going).

Which academics does this cover is another question this decision
raises.  Are we excluding ALL professors and staff of the University
of Maryland, or just the staff involved with running "D"?  How about
"B", do we exclude all USC academics or just those who work at ISI?

And NASA, do we exclude all their rocket scientists, or just those at
Ames ("E")?

--
Cheers,

McTim