[governance] Re: organizational orientation

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu May 29 13:23:10 EDT 2008

Stephane, George,

To try to square the circle, as I sometimes do, just as Ebay ranks
buyers and sellers by reputation of past interactions, so do IETFers.

Meaning if you had sensible good things to say on a prior round of IETF
work, you are more likely to be listened to the next time. Maybe that is
just a formalism of the old boy network, but old boys don;t usually tear
each other down (and with such glee) if they stray from saying
technically sensible things, as IETFers sometimes do.  Reminds me
of...this listserv ; )

So agreed it's far from perfect, and yeah if you don;t know your way
around you may feel alienated.

On other hand it's been using virtual tools to enable and encourage both
real-time and asynchronous remote participation like forever, a practice
IGF and MAG is apparently finding difficult to replicate.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> george.sadowsky at attglobal.net 05/29/08 12:41 PM >>>
Dear Stephane,

Thank you very much for referencing these two key documents.  I hope
people on the list look at them.

i take your point that the IETF is not perfect.  But I also note that
the first reference concentrates on the problem statement and the way
to improve the situation.  I quote:

"Taken in isolation, this document may appear to be exceedingly
negative.  The IETF needs to refresh its management and processes to
address today's challenges, but it should not be forgotten that the
IETF has produced a large body of high quality work which has lead to
an extremely successful and pervasive network infrastructure.
Against this background, we should see the current document as a
necessary piece of self-criticism leading to renewal and continued
success."

I think that's a pretty good objective.

The Narten document rightly tries to acclimatize newbies to the IETF
culture.  As you point out, it's really different than the UN
culture, or any other where diplomacy is a major factor.

I'm not comparing the IETF to a golden ideal that might be achieved
when we all attain god-like status.  I'm comparing it to other
organizations here on earth.  Given the pervasiveness of favoritism,
corruption, and non-representativeness that unfortunately are
commonplace in  human institutions, in my opinion the IETF stands out
as a fair body, oriented to real results, and using the best talent
offered to it to produce those results.

It is true that some opinions count much more than others. I never
denied that.  But the reason those opinions count much more is
probably that they are held by someone with lots of experience and
with a good track record of producing for the organization,  NOT that
they are the opinions of a nephew of a powerful cabinet minister (for
example).

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org