[governance] RE: organizational orientation

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu May 29 11:39:48 EDT 2008

> opinions are treated with some respect.  It's certainly true that
> there are people who are mercurial and who take offense without
> offense being given, and Randy is known to have a shorter temper than
> others.  That's an unfortunate fact of life on this planet.  Perhaps
> there are some people like that on this list also.

Randy's a special case.

He goes well out of his way to help (I lost count of just how many
developing country ccTLDs are secondaried by psg.com servers?)

Yes he has a short fuse and he doesn't suffer fools gladly - but well, he
tends to be right far more often than not, and I've known him to admit when
he's on the wrong side of an argument (that happens rarely but yes, I've
known it to happen)

> >  They may or may not understand the legal, social, political or
> >economic implications of what they are doing any better than an
> >ordinary person.
>
> The reverse may also be true.  It's quite possible to be a scientist
> and an engineer and have a good grasp of and informed opinions about
> relevant public policy issues.

And it may be quite possible to be a public policy person who has little or
no grasp of relevant technical issues.

Which is why there's the DIPLO course, and various other such, that serve as
a bridge.

> >  Full stop. Once you get on the bad side of one or two of these
> >people, it doesn't matter what you say or how much you know about
> >relevant issues, you will not be listened to. You are marked as an
> >outsider and an enemy and that's that.
>
> I believe that this is an incorrect representation of the truth.

It tends to take far more than one or two - even if those one or two are
veterans of whatever process - for such a situation to occur. Normally at
least.

> Actually, I am not one of them, at least one of them at the NANOG,
> RIR or IETF level.  I have never been involved in IETF work, because
> at the level at which they operate. I don't consider myself technical
> at their level.

I don't know the first thing about routers - and have a foggy, at best, idea
of what'd get classed as routing 101.  But RIR and *NOG meetings are where a
whole lot of regional internet governance already takes place.  It isn't all
about the nuts and bolts of anycasting, metro Ethernet, sinkholes or
whatever else.

Just for example, APRICOT - held this feb in Taipei (next feb in Manila)
has, over the years, hosted meetings of regional ccTLDs, antispam
regulators, CCERTs, ISOC, the IAB (ISOC/IAB - this was in 2005 at Perth, and
Jeremy can tell you how successful that one was).. panels on the middle east
fiber cut and the asiapac earthquake fiber cuts too, from the people whose
fibers got cut and who spent an entire holiday season fixing things.  Quite
a lot of these were certainly not focused simply on packet pushing or dns or
protocols.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org