organizational orientation Re: [governance] Simple and

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu May 29 11:13:45 EDT 2008

Avri,

A quick note to agree that a wide-angle lens as well as zoom can be
useful for igc.

For the moment, building consensus on IGF 2.0 - a sustainable/renewable
post 2010 IGF - still seems a top priority. Of course ICANN won;t go
away as a topic nor should it; and in addition to RIRs a longer list of
internet governance institutions may or may not come into focus over
time. But I agree only talking IGF all the time is too narrow.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

On 26 May 2008, at 16:09, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> IGF is ... , even though this caucus is organized primarily around
> it, ...

in the midst of many angst ridden messages this statement went by.

i have been questioning this statement since then.

while i agree that the IGF is one of the most visible IG foci for this
caucus at the moment, i wonder whether it is the primary one.  and
whether it should be.   (as should be obvious, i personally think the
IGF is a wonderful entity to focus on.  if only i had more hours in
the day.)

certainly a lot gets said about ICANN, and since much of the concern
with IGF seems ICANN related, one could argue that ICANN figures into
the category of things the IGC is concerned with and could organize
itself around.  remember mid 2009 is not all that far away.

we have also gotten periodic appeals from the RIRs, to get invovled -
they seem to want CS people to get involved and they come to us asking
for some involvement.  perhaps we could include them among the
concerns we organize ourselves around.

and periodically countries have done IGish things that the IGC could
have (should have) been up in arms about.  perhaps these do could be
included in the IGC circle of care.

in some respects, this suggestion seems nuts, we don't seem to have
enough active members to even cover the IGC adequately.  and i
certainly have no wish to jeopardize the IGC's efforts vis a vis the
IGf.   but perhaps, having a broader stage for IGC participation and
yes, even advocacy, might inspire a few more of the silent watchers to
have something they care to get involved in.  it could happen?

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org