[governance] RE: organizational orientation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 28 23:58:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

yes, but SHOULD it be?  What if it is disbanded? Do we then turn to
the "existing IG processes"?  I would hope we could build
alliances/bridges between ourselves and existing processes now,
instead of 100% focus on IGF.

This caucus generates
> statements for submission to IGF, and nominates people to the IGF AG,
> and serves as a focal point for the organization of workshops at IGF
> annual meetings.
>
> ICANN is an often-discussed topic, yes. But this caucus has never
> generated a statement to an ICANN meeting or process, never nominated
> anyone for the numerous ICANN positions and never organized a workshop
> for an ICANN meeting. As ICANN meetings approach, we do not see list
> members telling each other who plans to be there. I would like to see
> more people here get involved in ICANN processes directly; as chair of
> the NCUC and an active participant in GNSO task forces and policy
> development processes, I have often urged people here to get more
> involved.
>
> RIRs are barely on the agenda here, though of course I wish more of us
> were involved in that too. (By the way, a newcomer from this list
> recently made a comment on the ARIN list and was instantly attacked by
> Randy Bush.

Now now, while it wasn't the nicest welcome, it certainly
wasn't an "attack"..  If I said to you on this list;

"this is the actual internet.  we deal with actual operational reality,
not just ersatz egalitarian academic bs."

I think your feathers would be barely ruffled.

There was nothing particularly wrong or controversial about
> the newcomers' comment, Bush was just being territorial and attempting
> to make this person feel like an outsider.

Not to defend the old curmudgeon, but it's more of a case of not
suffering fools gladly.

So be forwarned: while there
> are numerous and quite sincere entreaties from the RIRs to get more
> involved, there is still a very strong tribal element in those circles
> that will not be happy when you do. But I expect that to change
> gradually.)

See George's mail.

--
Cheers,