[governance] Simple and basic questions

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed May 28 13:58:35 EDT 2008

On 28 May 2008, at 06:19, Ian Peter wrote:

> would however suggest that its recommendations be considered
> carefully,
> particularly as regards an independent chair, something that did not
> happen
> this year. If you want to improve the results, I think you will
> first have
> to improve the process.

the process already requires a non-voting chair.  personaly i think
that was the first mistake that was made this time.  and the major
mistake.  and since i was consulted on whether i thought this would be
ok and stupidly said 'why not' i blame myself for giving really bad
advice.  we have now seen 'why not'.

it is the non-voting chair's responsibility to make sure that all of
the rules are followed, and it would have been the non-voting chars
responsibility to say " holdup, we need to verify these criteria with
the caucus (rule 5)"

so one thing i hope we learn is that when the coordinators start
asking around for someone to volunteer to be that non-voting chair,
someone stands up and volunteers.

one good thing we have, is 5 more people who have been on the nomcom
and thus have 5 more victims for non-voting chair.  and hopefully more
people who understand why we need someone in that role.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org