[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Tue May 27 12:45:43 EDT 2008

Adam,

There is a loose group of people involved in the Internet who discuss
matters of Internet governance from time to time via e-mail and
teleconferences.  Those of us who are attend MAG meetings are a part
of that group.

However, with regard to any formal caucusing and submitting joint
nominations, I am not certain that it is happening.  As you know, the
technical community consists of a lot of individuals who are involved
with various organizations. Some of those organizations manage
critical Internet  resources; others do not.

As has been mentioned on the list by someone recently (Suresh? McTim?
Karl?), the Internet technical community is not and does not see
itself as a coherent, homogeneous body, except insofar as they have
and share various aspects of the technical knowledge to assist in the
Internet's proper functioning through their various professional
roles.

If there is any group that represents the Internet community, it's
the IETF, and then I doubt that it would claim to do so, with the
possible exception of  matters of technical protocols.   To
illustrate the looseness of the structure, the IETF is not even an
organization in any formal sense; it haws no status as a legal
entity.  Beyond that, I don't think any group claims to represent the
Internet community in any formal sense.

No doubt there are people involved in the Internet who are
recommending names to the IGF Secretariat for MAG slots, as well as
for IGF speakers and possibly for other roles also.  But AFAIK there
is not a concerted attempt to caucus together to try to select a
slate for the MAG.

The technical community does something else that I think is much
better.  All of the core organizations in that community have open
meetings that anyone can attend.  Markus has participated in quite a
few of those meetings, so he can observe certain of its organizations
in action, thereby informing himself better of the structure of at
least a part of that community, the actors who operate within it, and
what and how well they do.  Through this process, Markus is better
able to make informed judgements regarding the kind of persons, and
perhaps some of the persons themselves, who would be effective
members of that community to participate in the MAG.

I have generally found that the best predictor of what an individual
will do in the future is to look at what that individual has done in
the past.   By making the activities, processes, goals, and problems
of Internet institutions open to Markus (and BTW to anyone else who
wants to participate), I believe that he is better enabled to make
good choices for the MAG.

I think I've captured reasonably well what we are doing, and I' like
my colleagues to weigh in if they feel I have missed, misstated or
overstated anything.

If you think this isn't transparent, then the way to fix it is to
have the Secretariat publish a list of all names submitted, since
other groups and individuals are also submitting names.

I would advise against this.  Rather, I feel that the caucus'
methodology in choosing names to submit exhibits enormous overkill
and is an attempt to be incredibly pure and correct (and time
consuming) in the process.  Does the result really justify it?  The
Secretariat is going to make the final choice anyway; isn't it better
just to take actions that enable it to do a competent and informed
job -- assuming that one trusts it to do so?

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org