[governance] What this debate is really about

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue May 27 03:52:43 EDT 2008

Lee McKnight wrote:

> 'Civil society' will not merge with ICANN. But ICANN as an institution
> can evolve toward or away from civil society. I prefer toward.

Do we really want institutions of internet governance that can so
fluidly evolve?

Or is it more appropriate that such institutions be clearly defined and
strongly walled into that definition?

Is not the art of building institutions of governance more than merely
the art of finding ways to solve problems?  Is it not also the art of
constructing those solutions so that the solutions can not easily become
cancers?

ICANN, to use your example, was intended for a very narrow technical
function - assuring technical stability of DNS/IP addresses.  That we so
easily accept that ICANN may, and has, slopped well beyond that intent
is indicative of what I believe is a dangerous tendency to quietly
accede when bodies of governance, internet or otherwise, expand their scope.

Were ICANN to constrain itself to the narrow field it was originally
intended to occupy then questions whether it is aligned with or opposed
to free speech, or other such matters, would rarely, if ever, arise.

We need bodies of internet governance that address many specific issues.
Many of those issues pertain to technical matters - for instance the
establishment of a clearing house for end-to-end quality-of-service
assurances (not guarantees).  Only of few of the remaining issues
necessarily affect fundamental human rights.

Those bodies, such as ICANN, that have no need to affect those rights
ought to be kept small and confined so that they can have no such effects.

And for those relatively few governance bodies that will need to make
decisions affecting fundamental rights, it is very important that those
most directly involved - the humans who have those rights - have not
only a clear voice in the choices that are made, but a clear ability to
compel those choices without falling prey to those pre-selected special
interests who bear that title of internet neo-nobility called "stakeholder".

If we discover at some future date that what we thought at first was a
merely technical matter is really a matter with broader import, then it
becomes appropriate to reconsider, reform, or even replace, the means of
governance of that matter.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org