[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Mon May 26 11:27:01 EDT 2008

Ian:

Thank you very much for your comment. In general
terms we are in agreement. This is the kind of
discussion that I tried to promote.
The problem is not if somebody can or can not be
nominated on behalf of a given group. It is only
anecdotic, the most important is to be clear in
what is each group and be consistent with those
definitions. And it is important also that anyone
be clear in what channels should go trough for
being represented or being elected for a position
like the MAG. So, if we say: you are not from
here, we have to accept (as you did, thank you)
that there should be also channels for that people.

There are still many people that prefer to keep
the classification in 3 stakeholders group. In
that case we have o let anybody to decide to which group they feel closer.
Maybe some people in the so called "technical
community" feel closer from the business sector,
and others, like me feels part of civil society organizations space.

Said, that, and also for clarifying something, I
was appointed to the WGIG with the support of
civil society organizations, and now I have
received an important support form civil society
organizations from LAC region to continue serving
in the MAG and this is, I guess, because a great
involvement of LACNIC and myself in civil society
activities in the LAC region. As I said before,
the reality usually is more complex than some would like.
But the most important is that I agree almost 100 % with your email.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org