[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Sun May 25 12:25:48 EDT 2008

At 12:39 p.m. 25/05/2008, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]

Sorry. My english was not clear.
I didn't want to say that the nomcom excluded people from the list.
What I tried to say is that people who is
subscribed to this list was excluded by the
nomcom from the possibility of being nominated.
It was for a given reason, it really doesn't
matter what, but the openess of the caucus was
restricted since somebody decided that not all
the subscribers have the same rights.

> > necessary to define better what this caucus is.
> > The caucus seems to be: all of those that
>
>Raul, with respect, there is a very clear definition of this caucus, and
>it is contained in the charter:
>http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html
>Please take a look at

Yes, I know it. :-)
The charter is much broader regarding
participation that the spirit behind several
positions recently expressed in the list (including you).

> > >  Just like the RIRs claim to
> > >represent the "internet community." This claim has some legitimacy
> > >because RIRs are open to participation -- even though only a tiny
> > >portion of the affected community actually participates in RIR
> > >processes.
> >
> > You are wrong on this point. The RIRs don't claim
> > in anyway to represent the Internet community.
>
>OK, I see I worded this badly. No, RIRs don't claim to represent the
>entire Internet community, you are right.

Thank you.

>But they do claim that the
>policies they adopt are a product of, and represent the will of, the
>Internet community.

It is also wrong.
I have never heard that before.
Same comment, please tell me where it is said
that, because it should be corrected.

>Just this Friday I had an ARIN representative speak
>to a group of students and heard this claim made repeatedly. As I said,
>I do not think this is a bad or false claim, the problem is what we mean
>by "community." ARIN can claim that anyone who wants to affected RIR
>policy can get involved in it, just as this caucus can claim that any
>eligible CS person who wants to get involved can do so. So we can claim
>to be a legitimate vehicle for transmitting civil society perspectives
>into IGF just as ARIN can claim to be a legitimate vehicle for
>developing policies re addressing.

The difference is that if you were nominated to
represent an RIR community in the Address Council
for example (under the established procedures)
nobody will say tht you can nor run the election
because the kind of organization to which you
work or because you defend certain ideas. The
same applies to the RIRs' board elections.
So I think that your comparision is not good.
In fact I didn't start this discussion for
deffending the RIRs. It is you that are insisting in this point.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org