[governance] Mercenaries on the list-- Amateur, professional, mercenary semantics

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun May 25 12:06:46 EDT 2008

With actual, well defined professionals, there's no conflict of interest
from advocating your party's line, or fighting for your party's cause.
Advocacy for pay, or fight for pay mercenaries tend to engender far less
trust, and far more contempt, for obvious reasons, starting with the entire
"conflict of interest" thing and going on to how loyal to a particular cause
such people can be in the long run.