[governance] What this debate is really about

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Sun May 25 10:57:17 EDT 2008

For one, the list you make is misinformed (no reason for you to be
misinformed, as this info is in English in the CGI.br website) -- these
are names of CGI.br projects, not independent organizations. CGI.br
itself is a non-profit multistakeholder organization with a majority of
board members elected in an open, transparent, secure online voting
process, from three non-gov sectors. To select the LA&C names, we, the
LA&C caucus, did exactly the same open electoral process, from a caucus
open to any participant. We did not create a nomcom subject to the
questioning it is enduring now, including the unbelievable mishap
regarding the indication of our region's recommended names.

Milton just repeats the simple fact that a (strong) number of
stakeholders in the MAG belong to a group with a common vision and
defend the group's positions in a very proactive, insistent and
organized manner. Unlike many NGO's reps (let us please play down this
Snow White tale of "in their individual capacities" as if they were had
not become MAG members by the wish of some interest group), some of
their vocals are well paid to do this and to be present in the meetings.

Are they wrong? No, this is an opportunity they have been given by the
circumstances, and they have seized this opportunity to almost take over
the space -- the example Milton points out (the incredible resistance
against who controls or ought to control the logical infrastructure
becoming a main theme of the IGF) being an obvious example.

The heated discussion we are witnessing is in essence a dispute to
preserve or reinforce such dominance in light of the 1/3 renewal, period.

So, let us move on to the themes, to the workshops, to the process of
the IGF itself etc -- this is not going to change whatever the screams
and diatribes we send to each other's screens.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org