[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat May 24 01:06:51 EDT 2008

On 24/05/2008, at 11:13 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing more about how you all react to these points
> of mine:

No, that will centralise (even) more power in the unrepresentative
Secretariat.  In my work on remote participation, I've seen how the
Secretariat very shrewdly picks and chooses what volunteer help to
embrace and what to silently shun and thereby sideline.

It is also easier for the Secretariat to palm off the recommendations
of the open consultations to the Secretary-General (a fiction, of
course) so that it can disclaim responsibility for the dismissal of
those recommendations.  Harder for it to ignore a clear resolution of
the Advisory Group, whose numbers and constituencies are known and
fixed.  (Still not impossible, though; case in point, the Chairman
shutting down discussion within the Advisory Group of any variation to
the 50% representation of governments.)

For all its manifest faults, at least the Advisory Group, now that it
has increased its transparency thorough reports of its meetings and
mailing list summaries, is somewhat more accountable than the
Secretariat alone.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org